Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Reason

A few days back my college dean spoke a few words regarding to what he expects us to be, to do,to become.It had a good opening but how he ended his speech keeps me wondering, thinking a little more.He was asking us why did we take up medicine.He told us to let our hearts out on an essay on why did we take up medicine.In his speech he mentioned that these essays will be read by our lecturers who then will grade us on our "maturity" that they assume we own based on our answers on why we chose this career.

He commented on some of the essays the seniors wrote before this.He said that he thinks those who answered that they chose this path because 'they want to help the sick',' to be the curer', 'to be on their side when they need u most', are immature in their thinking.At first I had not much to say against it as I was thinking that he might be saying that because he was so bored of reading almost the same answers from everybody.Almost like they were stereotypes.

But when I was in the bus just now I over heard my friends talking about this matter.One was saying that our dean should have not said something like that at all.Because it is one's own dream and one's own decision and one's own faith in what one believes in.He couldn't have commented on what is right and what is wrong.What is mature and what is not.It is someone's dream.And I thought to myself.Why did I chose this career.I didn't fail maths.I was brilliant in maths.I love to design.I colud have taken up architecture.I'm a good singer.I could have been a singer if I want to.I could have been anything else other than chosing to be a doctor.

Then I remembered.Right after I finished my A level my dad had a little chat with me.He is a great man.A great father who is my idol.Someone I look up to highly.An Anesthetist.An honest practitioner.He told me to take up medicine.He gave me some practical reasons why he asked me to study medicine.He said that a doctor is the profession that has high demand.They have the power.They have the money.They are well respected only by having that Dr. title on his or her name.Doctors' names are so established and they receive full attention whenever a doctor opens up their mouth to speak even the tiniest things.They are highly appreciated in any way possible.I just had to agree.

But then he told me the real reason why he chose to be a doctor.To be who he is now.He said he wanted to make his family proud of him.Not by the money and fame.But for his deeds.He said he feels relieved seeing the patient under him progressing well and better.He feels like he is closer to God more than anything else to have experianced God's creations by learning medicine.It's not just by memorizing the whole book.But how well you are to the people around you,how well you treat them as a human being who always crave for tender,love and care.And that feeling to have helped a soul and the family is just unimaginable.

He has been practising for more than 30 years perhaps.And I can see how his patients appreciate him deeply.This I think reflected on his honest work.His honest effort.His dream which he had developed since his childhood days.Never had he been a greedy man.To think of money and fame,the title.Money and fame fades off if you are not careful.But knowing how much people appreciate you and words spreading telling what a wonderful being you are to another sick soul lasts forever.That is definate.

I did not choose this path because my father told me to take up medicine.I did not choose to be a doctor because of the fame and money and whatever worldy this title will soon deliver me to.I am studying medicine because I hold on firmly to what I believe in.And I believe in my childhood dream.It has always been my dream to see babies born safely to the world.I have conducted deliveries of my kittens since I was 10.And that feeling I had everytime my cats give birth to wonderful kittens touched my heart deeply which I cannot explain.And to imagine me conducting a human delivery,and have the baby in my hands,I do not have words to express how wonderful that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment