Sunday, January 22, 2006

22/01/06 sunday

It's a lazy sunday for me today =)

Got up early but later decided to gulp more cough syrup to put me to sleep.Hehe.After getting up and feeling so guilty I decided to do a little light reading on pediatrics.

Growth and development of a child are two very interesting topics.In a man's eyes their growth are just something amusing and entertaining.Especially when we get to hear their first word.Or being so excited to see them able to take their first step away from the couch.But some children were not born as perfect as you and I were brought up to be.

A few days back a baby girl was born with broken bones and joints.These fractures were of unknown causes.Usually cases such as these are due to genetic inheritant.But in this family,there were no known family members who had this defect before.It was not detected earlier during the pregnancy.And when the baby was brought out of the uterus she was crying excessively and all her limbs were not moving.And they are bowed.The baby feels pain whenever the limbs move and she has not much chance to survive for long.She can be treated with surgery to repair her fractured bones.But she still has poor prognosis even after the surgery is successfuly done.

It was so sad for us and the doctors to see the baby crying and could not do anything much to help the baby.All that was to be done was just to giver her some pain killers to help her ease the pain and nothing more.Studying medicine makes me feel insecured and afraid of a lot of things.I dont know how I am going to be like once I'm pregnant.I'll be so scared all the time =( always so worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment