Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Green Mile 25/12/2010




I remember watching a movie called The Green Mile somewhen in the year 2000 (I think) and it was one of the most memorable movie I've watched in my life (apart from old Disney animations). I could actually recall few bits here and there even though I've only watched it once (which was practically 10 years ago). I guess it was because of the intensity of the movie brought to life by Tom Hanks (acted as Paul Edgecomb) and Michael Clarke Duncan (acted as John Coffey).

This movie was an adaptation of a book by Stephen King published in 1996. It was about Paul Edgecomb who was a security guard in a prison who had some faith in supernatural incidents brought by John Coffey (an inmate who was to face death penalty for murder). But it wasn't about the supernatural-myterious-terrifying plots that caught my attention. I wasn't really sure why I remembered the movie bits quite well. Then I remembered that I was actually so happy I watched the movie and I bought that book 3 years after I watched the movie and boo-hoo... I've only got to read it now :P which probably means that the book has been quite dusty having being kept on my bookcase for a long long time :P.

Now that I finally get to spare some time to read while doing locum in one of the nearby clinics I feel only too happy to get back to my old hobby...reading. I used to read a lot of novels back then. Used to be so happy to be going to bookshops and I got to pick and chose any books I wanted and didn't have to pay them (my parents paid for them of course). But now I don't remember when was the last time I've stepped into a bookshop..Hmm..Or maybe perhaps I did get into one a year ago and that was to buy some pen hehe.

Now I'm already on the last quarter of the book and it feels good to almost finishing it because obviously I havent read a novel in the past umm..6-7 years? One thing that I enjoy most about this book is how people should always be given a second chance. Not just for people to reflect back on what crimes they have done in the past, but also for us to be more patient towards anyone at all for whatever kind of attitude they have showed to you and made you upset, etc etc. As I believe being patient and kind may lead to one good thing and the other.

I am now in my last posting of housemanship year and I'm in the emergency department. I don't quite enjoy my time here. Most of it because my patience has really been tested to the core as we are the first liner doctors in the hospital who will be attending to all patients before being coursed to the wards so we are dealing with all sorts of attitude and expectations and bullshit to be exact. There has been many challenges from not just responsibility point of view but my tolerance level too. I'm trying to wake up every morning reminding myself to have a good day at work because if I feel good my work will go smoothly as I'd hoped it to be (maybe not as often as it should).

Working in the emergency department is fun because I get to test my knowledge and recall on my previous encounters of the cases I've seen before. Something to brush up on my old piece of brain (where ever that piece is). The only thing that isn't fun in here is...well...don't think I want to blog about it in here because one day when I grow old and I read back on my old blogs, I don't think I want to be remembered of these ill memories.

So Green Mile, here I come back to your browning pages and hopefuly get to finish reading it before end of this 2010 to mark your 10th year since the time I watched you on tv :P

No comments:

Post a Comment